About Me

So, hi. My name is Kitty. Well, some of the time it is. I have a lot of names, because I'm a lot of people.

Thursday 5 January 2012

How I Got A Job By Wearing A Fireman's Hat And Eating Pretend Food.

So. Guess what? I think I have a job. And guess how I got it?
I played with toy horsies, and build blocks, and wore a fireman's hat while eating pretend food.
It was possibly the best interview ever.
And no, it's not at an asylum. It's at a nursery.
I will not die alone in my parent's basement with 42 cats!

Anyway. I had an interview with the manager, and she started by quickly reading my resume, and then she asked me questions for about... Ooh.. Half an hour? And I was super nervous. I never ask for a drink at interviews, and I always wish I did. My mouth was so dry, I'm surprised I didn't croak half the time. After that, the manager showed me around, and Mai, Alanna and I all did inner 'awww's over all the little children, and then I was settled into the playgroup area with two of the staff there.
At first, I was super awkward, and then a little girl gave me a toy cow and told me to build a house for it, and it went from there. I was given toy horses and storybooks and then she decided that since we were building houses for the animals, we should both have builder's hats. Apparently there was only one builder's hat, and I had a fireman's hat. And then she told me to go look for a doctor's hat. So I did, and while I was doing that, I was pulled into a little pretend house and sat down next to a cable-less keyboard, and told to wait for dinner. Soon after, I was presented with some fake food. Apparently I was eating it too realistically (Holding up to my mouth and going "nomnomnom"), because I was told by a little girl that "It's not real food, you're supposed to pretend to eat it!" And then the manager had apparently talked to one of the staff in the room, and asked me to go to her office and (While I was putting my shoes and coat back on), told me that she wanted to hire me. Yay! I felt so employable that she told me right there. So after waiting half an hour for someone to give me a lift home and making a lot of excited phone calls and texts and skype messages, I got home and called the education provider I'm using to get my childcare qualification to get them in contact with the nursery.
With any luck, on monday, I'll have a job to start soon!
Kitty

No comments:

Post a Comment